the Fairgame Archive

2006-02-19: Iron Game Chef 2006!
by Emily

The dates for the next round of Iron Game Chef have been announced. It will happen from March 11-19th at the Iron Game Chef Forum at 1KM1KT.  9 days to create a game from whole cloth, with the added challenge of incorporating certain themes and mechanics into its structure.

Many awesome games have come out of this competition, including Polaris and the Mountain Witch.  Another incredible benefit of taking part in these contests is getting a taste of what it is like to create a complete concept for a game, as well as experiencing the comraderie of taking part with others. And getting peer reviews and critiques kicks ass!

I totally trace back my actually believing I could finish a game to taking part in Iron Game Chef - Simulationist. Many thanks to Mike Holmes for beginning this tradition, and many more to Andy K for continuing it.

2006-02-20 12:27:18 Metal Fatigue

You know, whenever I see the acronym "1KM1KT," I totally think "one kilometer, one kiloton." Which is, you know, well outside the radius of even partial destruction, so it doesn't make any sense, really.

Oddly enough, the competition happens to fall almost entirely during my Spring Break.  If I were in the position of not believing I could finish a game design, I might try it.  However, I am in the position of not believing I can start a game, and I do not believe so much pressure would suit my muse.

What's the name of the Muse of game design, anyway? What's "game" in Greek? "Ludus" is Latin, that's no help.

2006-02-20 14:54:06 Emily

I'd go with Thalia, any day. Fun and games seem to go together. Though, that may be best suited for my game.  Calliope's epic stories may be more what other folks are going for.

Wierd to see what the muses really represented, most of them are patronesses of various types of writing.

If I were in the position of not believing I could finish a game design, I might try it. However, I am in the position of not believing I can start a game, and I do not believe so much pressure would suit my muse.

You might be surprised. No pressure, of course, for you to do it, but an idea might hook you if you give it a chance.  There is something about the themes & ingredients that actually make it easier to come up with something. I think they function as creative constraints, just like characters, settings et al. work to help us game.

Just a theory.

2006-02-20 21:08:11 James

Absolutely.  I mean, I knew at last year's that I could finish a game.  But I had no ideas, and no ambition, and it looked kinda like game #2 would be coming out on a cold day in hell for a while there.

But after looking at the list of ingredients for a while, and poking them around in my head, Blood and Bronze emerged.  That game came 100% from the creative constraints of the contest - it focused me on finding something that fit the criteria presented instead of chasing after one half-assed idea after another.

James

2006-02-27 20:42:04 Jason M

I have two huge conferences to attend starting during the week of IGC 2006.  I'm really hoping to participate but it's an open question at this point.  So sad.

2006-02-27 20:53:45 Emily

It's a terrible thing for the role playing world, but it's a good thing for you, Jason.

It means that Jonathon Walton doesn't need to hire someone to kill you now. : )

Back to ToC